Friday, November 22, 2013

Steak Au Poivre

I made this last night and it's definitely a keeper.  This was delicious and so easy to make.  This is usually made with filet mignon but the sirloin yields richer flavor and definitely at a lower cost.  I got this from The Chew and they have great recipes. 

3# Sirloin Steak.  Bought thin strips by mistake but I think it was better.
Coarse black pepper
Butter
2 Shallots - chopped.  I actually had 3 so chopped all of them. 
Minced garlic
Olive Oil - I actually used more butter instead of the olive oil.
1/4 cup Bourbon
1 tbs Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup Half & Half

Aggressively season steak with salt & pepper on both sides.  Melt a tbs or so of butter in your pan over a medium-high heat. I used my cast iron skillet for this. Pan fry steak for 5-6 minutes or until medium rare.  Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the chopped shallots to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes.  Add more butter or olive oil as needed.  Add the garlic and cook until soft and fragrant - about 1 minute.  Deglaze the pan with bourbon scraping up brown bits in pan.  Stir in mustard and more black pepper.  Reduce heat and add half & half.

Return steak to pan and baste with sauce.  Slice steak and top with sauce to serve.  I made some white rice or you could use brown rice seasoned with Tarragon & some Mrs. Dash All Seasoning. 









No comments:

Post a Comment