Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Green Mac and Cheese

I made this for dinner last night and since I'm such a lover of mac & cheese I was so happy to find a recipe that's healthy.  Plus this is a very easy and quick recipe.  It makes a very large batch but it freezes really well so you can have more at a later time.  I'm not a big eater of green veggies even though I know I need to so this is a great way to get my greens. 

1 pound Elbow Macaroni
3 cups Whole Milk - I used 2% cause that's what I had.
1 cup packed fresh Spinach - I used frozen.
3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
3 tablespoons Flour
4 cups grated White Cheddar Cheese
2 cups chopped Broccoli Florets
1 cup Peas - I used frozen

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Cook pasta in salted water for about 3 minutes less than package directions call for, until al dente.  Reserve half a cup of the pasta water and strain.

While the pasta is cooking, place the milk and spinach in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.

In a large pot melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux.  Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.  Add reserved pasta water and cheese and whisk until melted.  Stir in the pasta, broccoli and peas.

Transfer to a greased 13" x 9" baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and the pasta is set. 






2 comments:

  1. I have to say it was better than I was expecting. It was delish and definitely a repeat.

    ReplyDelete